Official Club Announcement: COVID-19 and Mitigation Steps – SIARA

I am writing to inform the club that I am suspending all group club activities starting effective immediately.  Rest assured that this is not a knee-jerk reaction, but a mitigation measure to try to protect all club members from the rapid spread of COVID-19.  I have been paying close attention the World Health Organization, the Indiana State Dept of Health website, and Indiana University’s information sources for information and advice.

Anyone that has volunteered for the 5050 run is encouraged to check in with Jim Baughn on what to do.  I haven’t heard anything from him yet, but I suspect the event might get cancelled.  I have decided not participate and stay home to focus on my familial needs.  I would encourage anyone in SIARA to do the same.

Timeline is still gray, but I think we will re-assess in May for in-person meetings.  So, to sum up:

  1. March and April SIARA meetings are cancelled
  2. This week’s planning meeting is cancelled
  3. Check with Jim Baughn about the 5050 run (
  4. Discouraging ham fest participation

Here are some ideas about what we can do in the next few weeks as a club:

  1. Make sure you are taking good care of yourself.  Try to keep a level head about current events.
  2. Make sure you have enough supplies to hang out for a few weeks(or longer).
  3. Have your go-kits ready.  We may not need radio communications with a Virus outbreak, but Spring weather is right around the corner.
  4. Start a VHF net to have radio “Club Meetings”
  5. Participate in new contests
  6. Explore SSTV and prepare for the VHF SSTV Net in April.  Depending on local weather, start date is April 15.
  7. Upgrade your license!
  8. Plan for FD2020

Hang in there.  If you need help, need something, or just want to chat feel free to send me an email at

Matt – KB9YOJ

SIARA President

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.